Update: Registration for kids and teens has ended. Kids and teens who have already registered have until August 30 to turn in their reading logs to pick up a free book of their choice.
It’s time for Summer Reading 2014!
Our programs for kids, pre-readers, teens, and adults begin June 1 and run through August. We’ll have tons of fun events and prizes for readers.
Adults can register online or in the library to win an iPad Mini. West Slope Library will also be giving away other prizes to those who register at our location. For more information, visit WCCLS Summer Reading or contact us.
Now check out some books, get reading, and have fun!
Did you know that you can help the Friends of West Slope Community Library earn donations by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card?
Fred Meyer is donating $2.5 million per year to non-profits in Alaska, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon based on where their customers tell them to give. Here’s how the program works:
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program online by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to the Friends of West Slope Community Library. Search for the Friends by name or use the non-profit number 80360.
- Every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you help the Friends earn money from Fred Meyer.
- You still earn and keep your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates.
For more information, visit fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
The Friends of West Slope Community Library is a non-profit organization that provides significant financial support to the library, designating funds for the collection, furniture, and programs. If you are interested in being a member of the Friends of the Library, you can drop off a completed membership form at the library with a check made out to the Friends of WSCL, or you can mail your form and check to 3678 SW 78th Ave, Portland, OR 97225.
If you have questions about the Friends of the Library, please contact us.
The West Slope Community Library Advisory Board has an open position and is seeking applicants. Public participation is important, and individuals interested in participating in West Slope Library’s development are welcome to apply.
The Advisory Board is comprised of five registered users of West Slope Community Library. Board members are appointed by the Washington County Board of Commissioners. All members represent the geographical area around West Slope Community Library (Raleigh Hills and West Slope).
Meetings: 6 times a year, the third Thursday of the month
Term: 3 years
Time commitment: 2-3 hours per month
Closing date: May 6, 2014 or until filled
Purpose and Duties
Duties of the WSCL Advisory Board include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the West Slope Community Library Manager and WCCLS Manager in preparing a plan with goals, objectives, priorities, performance measures, and evaluation procedures regarding library operations, programs, and budgets, and to participate in the drafting and continual review of the plan.
- Review the Library’s mission and recommend Library and Board goals on an annual basis.
- Recommend programs and services the Library should provide to address the needs of the community.
- Learn about the library and its services in order to serve as a conduit to the community.
Board members should have an understanding of and support for the basic tenets of public library service, including the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and Freedom to Read Statement.
If interested, please apply online or come into the library to pick up an application. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Washington County has posted all boards and commissions vacancies for Spring 2014 on their website.