Did you know that you can help the Friends of West Slope Community Library earn donations by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card?
Fred Meyer is donating $2.5 million per year to non-profits in Alaska, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon based on where their customers tell them to give. Here’s how the program works:
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program online by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to the Friends of West Slope Community Library. Search for the Friends by name or use the non-profit number 80360.
- Every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you help the Friends earn money from Fred Meyer.
- You still earn and keep your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates.
For more information, visit fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
The Friends of West Slope Community Library is a non-profit organization that provides significant financial support to the library, designating funds for the collection, furniture, and programs. If you are interested in being a member of the Friends of the Library, you can drop off a completed membership form at the library with a check made out to the Friends of WSCL, or you can mail your form and check to 3678 SW 78th Ave, Portland, OR 97225.
If you have questions about the Friends of the Library, please contact us.
The West Slope Community Library Advisory Board has an open position and is seeking applicants. Public participation is important, and individuals interested in participating in West Slope Library’s development are welcome to apply.
The Advisory Board is comprised of five registered users of West Slope Community Library. Board members are appointed by the Washington County Board of Commissioners. All members represent the geographical area around West Slope Community Library (Raleigh Hills and West Slope).
Meetings: 6 times a year, the third Thursday of the month
Term: 3 years
Time commitment: 2-3 hours per month
Closing date: May 6, 2014 or until filled
Purpose and Duties
Duties of the WSCL Advisory Board include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the West Slope Community Library Manager and WCCLS Manager in preparing a plan with goals, objectives, priorities, performance measures, and evaluation procedures regarding library operations, programs, and budgets, and to participate in the drafting and continual review of the plan.
- Review the Library’s mission and recommend Library and Board goals on an annual basis.
- Recommend programs and services the Library should provide to address the needs of the community.
- Learn about the library and its services in order to serve as a conduit to the community.
Board members should have an understanding of and support for the basic tenets of public library service, including the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and Freedom to Read Statement.
If interested, please apply online or come into the library to pick up an application. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Washington County has posted all boards and commissions vacancies for Spring 2014 on their website.
2014 is the centennial of Oregon Poet Laureate William Stafford’s birth, and libraries across Oregon will be celebrating Stafford and his work throughout the year. West Slope Library has partnered with Garden Home Community Library to bring you a unique multicultural evening of poetry, history, and theatre.
Join us on Monday, April 28 at 6:00pm at Garden Home Recreation Center for readings from the upcoming play Words the Burn and a discussion of Stafford’s and other’s experiences of life during wartime.
To learn more about Oregon Reads 2014 events in Washington County, visit WCCLS.org.
Questions? Please contact us.